I absolutely adore garlands and have been wanting to make some. Last year (just a month ago) I made some for christmas presents. I’ve done one paper one, sewn together. The others are fabric ones. This first one is from Dutch ‘delft blue’ fabric I bought when last visiting Holland two years ago. I cut out the pictures and doubled them up, wrong sides together, stitching around the edges with a zig zag stitch. It worked fairly well, but here and there some threads are sticking out. I sewed them all on a piece of chord I found in the back of my drawer. I later realized the reason the chord was so thick and irregular was because it’s candle wick chord!! I suppose I won’t be making candles anytime soon.
For the second garland I didn’t have to deal with small pictures so I could make proper little flags, sewn right sides together and then turned. They look much better, I think.
A while ago we had a big wind storm in the area and my rose bush in front of the porch got blown over. In hind sight this was a very good thing because now I can use the porch railing for exhibiting my quilts and projects. I’ve pulled the bush in front of the window, from where I can now see the birds sitting on it. It looks a little strange from the garden side but I think it will look better when the bush fills out a bit and gets used to growing the other way….